Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Xzibit - The Foundation

Realize you can only run the streets so long
Then the streets run you -- into the ground, then gone
It's kinda rough trying to teach you what's right from wrong
Same shit different day
It's the same ol' song
If the time ever comes that I meet my match
Take control of my assets
Fuck startin' from scratch
I've been posting a lot of new releases lately, so today I'm takin' it back to the old school.  Xzibit has never been a particularly cerebral rapper, but good rap needn't be intellectually inaccessible.  There's not much to say about this track; it's father-son advice in song-form.  And although it's tinted by gangsta sensibilities, the song is, honestly, kind of touching.
You are the foundation
Beginning of a new generation
I remember hospital hallway pacin'
I was anxious as fuck to see your face shine
Only to find that yours looked like mine
So it's like I'm livin' twice at the exact same time

No comments:

Post a Comment