Sunday, September 18, 2011

J. Cole - Blow Up

Momma said I should reconsider law school
That means I wear a suit and bend the truth and feel awful?
Hell naw! Got a degree but what that cost you?
You make a good salary, just to pay Sally Mae
My life, in four lines. Well, besides the "good salary" part.
Was broke as dishes, tryin' to let it go
Hit the club, she drop it low
Lower than my credit score
Account overdraft
What I got this debit for?
So much debt, it got me drinkin', thinkin' --
Bitch, I better blow
I better blow
Who better captures the malaise of our Great Recession than Mr. Cole? To be sure, his lyrics are peppered with the sort of "I'm rich!" braggadocio one would expect from a rapper, but there is an undercurrent of unease and uncertainty, too.  In another song, Villematic, he seems unsure about his chances for success ("I know my debut will ship, but is it gon' sell?"). There's a thought millions of us can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment