Thursday, September 29, 2011

De La Soul - Oodles of Os

Oodles and oodles of O's, you know
You get 'em from my sister
You get 'em from my bro
All I is is man, and once an embryo
Am I solid gold? I don't cast a glow
Yes, I guess it's reflex
Some have no control
I'd rather let a laughter
And tally, off I go
Canoeing up the river or out into the O
You just know we're not
So not play the role 
Here's another old school track for you.

I confess I have no idea what this song is about, but art needn't be understood to be enjoyed. What I do know is that the lighthearted wordplay and overall goofiness make the song fun to listen to.  It reminds me of how De La Soul later criticized gangsta rap for being joyless (among other things).  While I think gangsta rap has a lot of offer in its own right, suffice it to say that they don't really make rap quite like this any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment