Monday, September 19, 2011

Skillz - Hip Hop

You get 'em wealth, that's what they attracted to
And when they get it, it never comes back to you
And it's sad, to watch you lose your grip so fast
And when you on TV, all I see is tits and ass
Shakin' it fast
I think what's striking about this track is how damn earnest it sounds.  Maybe it's just the Cat Stevens hook. Still, when Serious Rappers talk about the state of hip hop, it's usually something like "fuck all the commercial rap; I'm the only one making Real Hip Hop!" Skillz, on the other hand, just seems sad he was left at the altar.
Maybe it's who you hangin with
I ain't blamin' them
You get 'em shit they never had
And that changes them
But, see, you precious
More like a work of art
It's more to you, but the world don't get to see that part
...
Used to think bein' with you, was just the thing to do
Am I hurt cause you gone?
Or hurt because you doin' something new?
In a lot of ways, Skillz' track shows a sort of emotional depth and maturity that other thematically similar songs lack. Folks like Nas are still stuck at the Anger phase of the Five Stages of Grief ("Roll to every station and murder the DJ!"). In one song, Skillz makes it through Bargaining ("You ain't gotta turn back, just don't take a turn for the worse"), Depression ("I'm sorry that I got so attached / But I'm still here, if you ever wanna come back") and, finally, to Acceptance:
To me, you were never just a passing fad
I'm grateful -- some never had the chance I had
So before you go, take this advice
Some of us live you, think about us when you livin' your life

No comments:

Post a Comment