Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tyler the Creator - Yonkers

I'm clocking three past six and going postal
This the revenge of the dicks
That's nine cocks that cock nines
This ain't no V-Tech shit or Columbine
But after bowling, I went home for some damn Adventure Time
I slipped myself some pink Xannies
And danced around the house in all-over print panties
...
I'm an overachiever, so how about I start a team of leaders
And pick up Stevie Wonder to be the wide receiver?
Green paper, gold teeth and pregnant golden retrievers -- all I want
Fuck money, diamonds and bitches -- don't need them
I know that this song is a significant departure, thematically, from most of the songs I've posted here.  But conscious rappers don't have a monopoly on lyricism. You can find poetry in the pure as well as the profane.

This isn't the most offensive, violent or weird song from Tyler the Creator and his erstwhile obscure rap collective Odd Future (it is a lot more, uh, accessible than some of the others, though). Obviously, this kind of music is not for everyone. I'm not even sure it's for me. But it is at least interesting... which is a lot more than I can say for most of what they play on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment