Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lil Wayne - Mega Man

Young Money, man, we got this shit by a landslide
Boy, I send them bloods at your ass like a tampon
Uptown shit, wet the whole party
Weezy gon' ball, ball like Steve Harvey
The heater I'm a tuck her, Tucker like Dolores
That's my word, word like thesaurus
I don't see no future in your frontin', I be stuntin' hard
Rap game dependent on me like a bungee cord
Fear nobody but God almighty
Shoot that motherfucker 'til I get arthritis
I'm a beast, I'm a ass, I'm ahead of my class
I'm a diamond in the rough like a baby in the trash
I don't talk it, I live it, I paint a picture vivid
And them pistols popping like they sitting in a skillet
This ain't 6 Foot 7 Foot, but it does give a taste of what makes Wayne an exhilarating listen: frenetic, free-association rhymes; bizarre, outrageous metaphors; and an extraterrestrial-frogman voice that sounds just a little unbalanced.

At the risk of overstating things, Lil Wayne might just save mainstream hip hop. It's not just that he was breath of fresh air at a time when the industry had become stagnant. If you look at the arc of his career, the more lyrical (and, let's face it, weird) he got, the more popular he became. That's something I'm sure other rappers noticed. Let's hope they act on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment